A global network of self-employed impact makers
Having just started as a solopreneur, I felt uncertain. I had clients from the start, but still there were a lot of questions that I couldn’t easily discuss with my closest network. I needed a sounding board and much more: people who know what it is like to be a solopreneur with an impact mission.Kaat Peeters, Impact Projects
Who is this for?
Impact Solopreneurs is an international peer community of solopreneurs in the impact space. Facing a lot of similar issues, we build a network through participative sessions to build impactful one-person businesses with confidence. We believe in supporting each other, building each other up and challenging each other to grow.
Gig workers earn less, on average, than traditional full-time employees; suffer from an unpredictable stream of work; and lack access to employer-sponsored benefits.Prudential
If any of these sound familiar, Impact Solopreneurs might be for you:
- You don’t know many other self-employed individuals who share your passion for social entrepreneurship & impact.
- You feel that in the impact space acting as a regular consultant is not the way to go
- You wonder how everyone else seems to be killing running a proper business
- You work for free or at a discounted rate more often than you care to admit
- You work long hours and feel depleted, exhausted and a tiny bit disillusioned.
- You find it hard to ever turn off. You could work all day and night.
- You are doing great work but not seeing the impact on your bank statement.
Have you ever asked yourself…
- This was supposed to be fun and fulfilling. Why is it so hard making an impact and an income as a solopreneur?
- How do I market my services and close sales in the social impact sector without sounding sleezy and salesy?
- How do I decide on pricing?
- How do I set strategic priorities when I could work on everything at all times?
- How do I hold myself accountable to making progress in my business?
- How do I manage my finances to make sure I have enough to live, can pay my taxes and invest in my professional development?
- How am I supposed to stay motivated? It feels like I am responsible for everything all the time!
Speaking from a very personal experience, having a group of peers has been a huge part of why I still have a business. Throughout the sessions, all of us had a low point and we pushed each other along. This experience gave me the motivation to keep going. It’s been really powerful.Peter Ptashko, cambio! House of Social Change
What if we told you we could work on these things together:
- Learn how to take control of your business, instead of your business controlling you
- Put an end to the overwhelm and long hours
- Continuously work on your individual business with guided support and feedback from a dedicated group of peers who want to see each other succeed
- Most importantly, connect with peers who share your values and dedication to social entrepreneurship, and who walk in your shoes all day every day. Sometimes, your peer from the other side of the world is exactly the one who will get you going.
Impact Solopreneurs is not for you if
- You expect to receive without giving
- You are not ready yet to make your personal and professional growth a priority
- You already know you will miss more than two sessions
What we offer
Our primary goal is to create an international community that provides a safe space for impact-driven solopreneurs to ask hard questions, find the support they need to keep going, and to grow together. We believe that a rising tide lifts all boats. Therefore, we are recruiting a group of ambitious impact makers who believe in the power of community and collaboration to make a difference in the world.
Across the generations, gig workers earn, on average, only about 58% as much as full-time employees ($36,500 vs. $62,500), making it particularly challenging for gig workers to manage their day-to-day finances.Prudential
What you can expect:
- An international network of impact-driven solopreneurs
- Accountability: 9 monthly check-ins with peers (we take January, July & August off)
- Expert content: Short firestarter sessions around personal and professional development with an opportunity for Q&A and individual feedback. Sample topics:
- How to market your impact-driven business.
- Pricing your services.
- How to grow your impact.
- Peer-feedback sessions in small groups
- Monthly hot-seat for 1-5 members to discuss individual challenges
- Discounts on related events and services (e.g. workshops of other members)
- Tested templates and tools
- Coaching add-ons available (see CEO add-on)
Having Kaat and Peter was my lifeline in 2020. Money can’t buy the deep sense of belonging and understanding that I got from these two. Whether I needed feedback or an introduction or simply someone who told me I wasn’t a complete failure, they did everything in their power to get me to the next stage.Anika Horn, Social Venturers
- Early bird price: EUR 200/USD 240/CAD310 (ends January 26th)
- Regular price: EUR 250/USD 300/ CAD 390 (January 26th – February 5th)
- *CEO add-on*: exclusive access to one 1-1 coaching session (60-90 minutes) with Anika, Kaat or Peter: EUR 50/US 65/CAD 65 (limited supply)
Starting on February 9, 2021, we will meet the second Tuesday of each month for a 90-minute session. Each session consists of
- Firestarter: 45 minutes of expert content (incl. Q&A)
- Community time: 45 minutes of small group conversations with peers
The content will cover both personal growth and professional development to allow you to build your impact-focused business and create a sustainable lifestyle you love!
- Firestarters: Speakers will share tangible insights and leave you with practical next steps on how to implement these insights into your business and life. Gain the knowledge and support you need to build the right type of business for you.
- Community time: The second half of each session is devoted entirely to you and your peers to share concerns, get feedback on the challenges you’re facing and – of course – celebrate successes. We are creating a safe space to build trust and give every participant a place where they belong. Through our community, you will become more connected globally and feel less isolated.
All sessions take place virtually through Zoom and are scheduled for 90 minutes:
- 8 a.m. PST
- 11 a.m. EST
- 4 p.m. GMT
- 5 p.m. CET
- 9.30 p.m. IST
Find your time zone here.
Curious to meet other participants and your hosts ahead of time to get a taste for the program? Join us on January 26th, 2021, for a FREE 90-minute session!
- February 9, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- April 13, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- July OFF
- August OFF
- September 14, 2021
- October 12, 2021
- November 9, 2021
- December 14th, 2021
Freelancers work 46+ hours/week: 57% of gig economy workers say they work more than 40 hours per week.Prudential
Who are we?
When COVID-19 first swept the planet in March 2020, Anika (USA), Kaat (Belgium) and Peter (UK) made a pact to weather the storm together. All three are self-employed impact makers with a heart for social entrepreneurs and systemic change. Every two weeks, we got together online to talk through what was keeping us up at night, how business was going, how we were doing personally, and – maybe most importantly – we held each other up when the going go rough.
We’re proud to report that all three of us are still in business and closed 2020 as one of our most successful years in terms of impact and revenue.
Experiencing first hand the power of mutual support and understanding, we are expanding our small circle to like-minded peers who want to make a difference in the world and are tired of doing it all alone.
Anika is the founder of Social Venturers. She is on a mission to support changemakers building purpose-driven careers, organizations and ecosystems without losing themselves. Anika has been self-employed since she moved to the U.S. full-time in 2015. She launched several support programs for social entrepreneurs, worked as a community builder for certified B Corps and currently works with clients around the world through her advisory services.
Kaat Peeters is a Belgian impact maker. For years, Kaat managed the ‘Sociale Innovatiefabriek’, an accelerator for social innovation and social entrepreneurship. Building a network, strengthening social entrepreneurs and social innovators, sharing stories that need to be told, setting up international collaborations, are the kind of activities Kaat took on her plate.
Nowadays, Kaat teaches social innovation at the University College ‘Erasmushogeschool’ and she supports impact organisations with the design and implementation of their growth strategies. She’s also a keynote speaker and brings hands-on workshops on scaling strategies. Kaat is board member of The Shift, EVA, CLT Gent, Rising You, Larf, Zephyrus and member of the general assembly of Timelab
Peter Ptashko FRSA is a social entrepreneur, funder and supporter of social entrepreneurs and currently an independent entrepreneurship change management consultant working with a range of clients across the public and private sectors. He holds a series of leadership and Board-level positions across these two sectors.
He is the former Director of the Global Social Entrepreneurship Network (GSEN), leading its 60 members in over 70 countries to better support social entrepreneurs around the world – providing them a voice and capacity to flourish wherever they may be. Before this he was based in their Mexico City office, with a focus on Impact Investment across Latin America.
He launched cambio! in 2019 as a response to the growing need for mainstream, high quality, internationally-informed and tailored support to social entrepreneurs in the UK, and beyond.